Friday, May 16, 2008

Credit Where Credit is Due

After making an extremely stupid remark about Barack Obama in a speech to the National Rifle Association today, Republican Mike Huckabee issued the following apology:
During my speech at the NRA a loud noise backstage, that sounded like a chair
falling, distracted the crowd and interrupted my speech. I made an offhand
remark that was in no way intended to offend or disparage Sen. Obama. I
apologize that my comments were offensive, that was never my intention.
My compliments to Huckabee for not resorting to the tired old dodge: "I apologize if my comments were offensive."

5 comments:

  1. You know, sometimes one starts to think that these "offensive" comments are made with the dirtiest of intentions... There are so many sheep in this country that comments like this and speeches saying homosexuals are a bigger threat to this country than terrorists can have horrible repercussions and, not only do these people disregard them, it leads one to believe that such actions taken when this "truth" is heard, and taken into an ignorant's psyche, the possible devastating outcomes may be just what people like Huckabee and Kern wanted.

    Or, they could just be assholes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pretty clear to me that Huckabee's remark was a spontaneous reaction to a loud noise so while it may have been intentional, it wasn't premeditated. Still, the fact that this was the first thing he came up with when trying to be funny doesn't say much for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the fact that this was the first thing he came up with when trying to be funny doesn't say much for him."

    Exactly right. The comment disclosed something about his character that he ordinarily keeps hidden under his more polite public persona.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huckabee should keep his day job.
    Nice blog, and its good of you for giving a politician any credit for admitting a blunder--I wish more of them would do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I voted for Huckabee, even after he had withdrawn, because I wanted my vote to make a statement. I think he is a stand-up guy, and would have made a good president. I guess we may never know.

    We all make mistakes, let him without sin cast the first stone...

    ReplyDelete